Rebloggable version requested!
INGREDIENTS FOR GOD TIER BED:
edit 1/3/13: its worth noting that depending on the materials you already have and where you get your blanket, this entire project can cost only like $30 and everything but the embroidery takes like maybe 2 hours tops
edit 1/7/13: I’m seeing a lot of ‘i dunno how to use a sewing machine’ comments and that’s fine! There is nothing fancy to do in sewing one of these. It’s a bunch straight, flat seams, it’ll be great practice. If you don’t have a machine at all, that’s different, haha. I will answer any questions about sewing machine technique to the best of my ability.
- a comforter or duvet in the base color of your bed (I got my comforter and sheet set at target)
- About a yard of quilting cotton in your accent color
- I interfaced my applique but im… not sure if its mandatory?? It made finishing the edges easier and the color brighter and I have not had problems with it wrinkling, so yeah some thin fusable interfacing!
- Accent color thread
- Accent color embroidery floss (at least how i did it)
- Choose your god tier symbol from the fine selection by digitalLibrarian or some other high-res picture of your symbol
- Open it in an image editor and adjust the colors so it doesn’t drain your toner. I made mine greyscale and a bit lighter.
- Make the symbol BIG. Mine was just under a yard across. I would’ve gone bigger, but I have a twin size bed so it wouldnt have looked as nice. Queen and double beds seem to be ideal. Make sure you keep the height and width ratio the same!!! Don’t want any distortions!
- Print out the picture on all of its sheets. I did mine in photoshop and used PosteRazor to create a mosaic from it.
- Now you assemble all of your sheets. This is the fun part!! Time is a bitch because all of your edge pieces look kind of the same, oops. Mine was about 12 sheets of paper. (4x3)
- Tape them together carefully!
- Cut out your pattern piece(s).
- Lay out your interfacing on a table and trace your pattern onto it. You might need to have more than one piece of interfacing that you’ll assemble when you iron it on. If your symbol has a direction like Breath or Life, be sure you’re writing on the bumpy(right) side!!
- Cut out your interfacing pieces.
- Lay out your applique cotton. I didn’t really find mine to have a right or wrong side, so pick one and lay your interfacing pieces bumpy side down.
- Iron them in place!
- Cut out your applique, leaving some seam allowance. Basically as much as you like, I think I averaged about 3/8 inch.
- Finish the edge of the applique, I did this by topstitching all along the outside.
- Lay out your comforter or duvet.
- Position your symbol in the center and pin it.
- Since Time has a big floppy center part, the first thing I did was shove half of my comforter underneath my presser foot so I could sew a straight seam down the seams that were already in the comforter, so that it would stay flatter.
- so like if the black lines are the existing seams of my comforter i sewed on the green lines
- Since machine sewing anything complex on a premade comforter actually sucks, I used a simple embroidery backstitch (2 threads thick) to hold down the applique all the way around the edge
- This is the stitch I used but you can use any one you like, or if you’re doing a duvet, you can use a machine with more ease since it’s much less bulky.
- Promptly pass out on your new god tier bed!!! But dont die on it.
a moment of silence for all Light players who attempt this god help you on your journey friends